Hello Smithfield Youth Basketball Association Parents and Players,
Week 2 of the 2020 Summer Basketball League is ready to rock tonight. Week One went fantastic! The league could not have been happier with the way everyone - players, parents and coaches pitched in to follow the rules and restrictions we have in place that make it possible for us to trot this league out each week so thank you very much for that.
We also had some great games that in a number of divisions went down to the wire - including a double OT thriller in our 5th/6th Grade last Monday evening! In an effort to maximize the game experience for the kids the League will be tinkering each week with the start times of games and/or the actual game lengths as we try to make the games longer and a more enriching experience over these remaining five weeks. To do this we need parents this week, even more so then last week, to help clear the area so that the next group of families can come in. This week the start times of games will be:
3rd/4th grade – 1st game: 5:30 p.m. 2nd game 6:05pm on Mondays
5th/6th grade – 1st game: 7:00 p.m. 2nd game: 7:45pm on Mondays
7th/8th grade – 1st game 5:30 p.m. 2nd game: 6:05pm on Tuesdays
High school – 1st game: 7:00 p.m. 2nd game: 7:45pm on Tuesdays
The full team-by-team schedule for Week Two is up on smithfieldyouthbasketball.com.
This makes the restrictions we have in place for COVID-19 even more important they be followed and with game times increasing and the time between those games shrinking it becomes vital to our success that parents and families be leaving Deerfield Park so that the next wave of parents and families can come in to play.
A sampling again of our most important rules families should know:
- Do not bring anything "extra" to the games. It should be just your child and their water bottle. Kids should NOT bring their own personal basketball. They will be asked to leave anything extra at the door; this includes backpacks and other bags. We'd rather not have kids touching other kids' stuff.
- Please have your child bring their own clearly marked water bottle (aka please write their name on it). No disposable plastic bottles of any kind will be allowed inside the court area including Gatorade/Powerade bottles. Please take the time to pour these types of drinks into their very own bottle that won't be mistaken for any other child's.
- If your child forgets their water bottle they will not be allowed to bring a disposable one onto the court surface. For the second straight week the heat is going to be super extreme - 95 degrees at 5:30pm - and they will not be allowed to play without a water bottle so please make every effort to bring a clearly marked water bottle with them to the courts. We DO NOT want children confusing similar looking water bottles that are left underneath the bench and potentially drinking out of each other's bottles.
- Parents and other family members are not allowed in the court area at any time - no if's, and's or but's about it. The courts are a closed area.
- Please practice social distancing when watching the games. There is plenty of room to spread out around the courts. Families did a great job of this last weekend we thank you for that!
- Players are not allowed in the court area until allowed to do so by the SYBA Board and/or their coach. Players will meet their coach at a designated area outside the courts first before being ushered in.
- Do not drop your son off well before game time. We are taking time to prepare both before the first game and after it for the second game. 10 minutes before game time works. Again, if you arrive 45 minutes before game time your son will have to sit sadly outside the fence and just watch from afar.
- You'll see that the start times are staggered with one set of teams having an earlier start and another having a later start while a third team plays in both games. This will rotate week to week. The team showing up for the later start (6:05pm and 7:45pm) SHOULD NOT ARRIVE BEFORE 5:55pm and 7:35pm RESPECTIVELY. This is so that we don't have an unnecessary amount of people on and around the courts.
- When your child's game is over please depart from the courts and the general area of the courts as quickly as possible. Hit some take-out or grab an ice cream, but please don't linger around the courts. Parents and families did and AWESOME job of this last week. In fact you all did this so well it's a big reason why the league is even considering extending game times. Keep this up this week and throughout August folks, thank you again!
- Coaches, scorekeepers, and referees will be masked. Players do NOT have to wear a mask.
- If your child is sick (COVID-19 or not) please do not come to the game. It’s up to all of us to keep ourselves and each other safe.
- We will be scanning for temperatures as people enter the court.
- We will have hand sanitizer and will be washing benches, the basketballs, etc. throughout the evening/game.
I know much of this may seem like a pain, but we can't play without doing these necessary things. We need everyone’s cooperation with these rules to ensure a smooth and enjoyable summer season.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to an SYBA Board member and of course you can always speak with your coach.
Here's to a great Week Two!
The SYBA Board