Hello Smithfield Youth Basketball Association Parents and Players,
We are ready to start the 2020 Summer Basketball League. We are pleased that with the cooperation of the Town of Smithfield that we can have this season – even if it is shorter than usual. Thank you for signing up! The season will start tonight, Monday, July 20 and run through Tuesday, August 25, including playoffs.
Teams have been selected – if your coach has not reached out to you, please let me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jeff Swallow (email@example.com) know immediately.
Schedule of age group games are as follows:
3rd/4th grade – 5:30 p.m. on Mondays
5th/6th grade – 7:10 p.m. on Mondays
7th/8th grade – 5:30 p.m. on Tuesdays
High school – 7:10 p.m. on Tuesdays
The full team-by-team schedule for Week One is up on smithfieldyouthbasketball.com.
As you know, COVID-19 has placed restrictions on almost all walks of life. Summer basketball is no exception. So, we have a lot of rules that need to be followed in order to play and continue to play. To highlight a few:
- Do not bring anything "extra" to the games. It should be just your child and their water bottle. Kids should NOT bring their own personal basketball. They will be asked to leave anything extra at the door.
- Please have your child bring their own clearly marked water bottle (aka please write their name on it). No disposable plastic bottles of any kind will be allowed inside the court area including Gatorade/Powerade bottles. Please take the time to pour these types of drinks into their very own bottle that won't be mistaken for any other child's.
- If your child forgets their water bottle they will not be allowed to bring a disposable one onto the court surface. With the heat as extreme as it is they also will not be allowed to play without a water bottle. So please make every effort to bring a clearly marked water bottle with them to the courts. Again, we don't want children confusing whose similar looking water bottle was left where underneath the bench and potentially drinking out of each other's bottles.
- Parents and other family members are not allowed in the court area at any time. Also, please practice social distancing when watching the games. There is plenty of room to spread out around the courts.
- Players are not allowed in the court area until allowed to do so by the SYBA Board and/or their coach. Players will meet their coach at a designated area outside the courts first before being ushered in.
- Do not arrive well before game time. We are taking time to prepare both before the first game and after it for the second game. 10 minutes before game time works.
- You'll see that the start times are staggered with one set of teams having an earlier start and another having a later start while a third team plays in both games. This will rotate week to week. The team showing up for the later start (6:05pm and 7:45pm) SHOULD NOT ARRIVE BEFORE 5:55pm and 7:35pm RESPECTIVELY. This is so that we don't have an unnecessary amount of people on and around the courts.
- When your child's game is over please depart from the courts and the general area of the courts as quickly as possible. Hit some take-out or grab an ice cream, but please don't linger around the courts.
- Coaches, scorekeepers, and referees will be masked. Players do NOT have to wear a mask.
- We will be scanning for temperatures as people enter the court.
- We will have hand sanitizer and will be washing benches, the basketballs, etc. throughout the evening/game.
If your child is sick (COVID-19 or not) please do not come to the game. It’s up to all of us to keep ourselves and each other safe.
I know much of this may seem like a pain, but we can't play without doing these necessary things. We need everyone’s cooperation with these rules to ensure a smooth and enjoyable summer season.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to an SYBA Board member and of course you can always speak with your coach.
Let’s get started!
The SYBA Board